Love the life you live. Live the life you love.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Teaching is like....


Painting a masterpiece. When an artist sits down to paint ther are unsure of the exact colors to use and how the shading and lighting of each brush stroke is going to affect the final outcome. This is how teaching is to me. I am unsure of how my lesson plans, teachings, and beliefs are going to affect the final outcome of my students, but one thing I am sure about is that I will always be able to add another layer of paint or knowledge and hope for a better outcome.

From my education course one thing I have learned is that each student is an individual. I do not just have a class I have a class of students. Treating and teaching my students as individuals helping them understand that they are all unique and learn at different paces and use different learning styles. It is my job to adapt to the learning styles of my students to ensure their progression in knowledge. I have also learned about the many different philosophies that educators have provided over the years. I think that it is important to research these men and women to develop my own better understanding of what it takes to be an educator. Lastly I have learned that I am not my student’s best friend. I am their educator, the one who is helping them to prepare their minds for the intake of more knowledge. It is my job to keep them engaged in learning and the want to learn more beyond my grade and subject. I cannot do that if I pretend to be their "pal". These three points have stuck with me because I feel that by knowing these three ideas I can become a well-rounded teacher whose only interest is the well-being of my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment